Stand-out Benefits of Magnesium:
- Magnesium deficiency directly promotes chronic inflammation (ref, ref2)
- A meta-analysis of 532,979 individuals revealed that low magnesium intake increased the risk of cardiovascular events (coronary heart disease, stroke) (ref)
- Reduces migraine intensity and frequency (ref)
- Can reduce blood sugar and insulin levels in those with insulin resistance (ref)
- Magnesium is needed to convert vitamin D3 into “active” vitamin D. Also, high vitamin D supplementation can induce a magnesium deficiency. (ref)
- Magnesium deficiency may increase bone loss with age (ref)
The most popular form of magnesium (magnesium oxide) has a very low bioavailability, while the next most common form (magnesium citrate) tends to induce diarrhea at therapeutic dosages.
Keep in mind that with most high quality magnesium supplements, each magnesium pill usually provides only 100mg of magnesium. This is why I recommend a powder. It is easy to drink and easy to get enough magnesium this way.
Most people take 1-2 scoops a day (for 2 scoops, 400 mg, split it up with one scoop in the morning and one at night.)
(As an Amazon affiliate, you will be supporting my website with NO extra cost to you! Purchasing any items (not just the ones on this page) on Amazon using the links on this page will be helping to support me and helping to support continuous updates to this site. This is an easy, no cost way to give back!)